Monday 18 March 2013

Lime pickle {part 1}



It's Monday and it's cold and I had to use my whole reserve of getupandgo to make it out of bed this morning. 

As in all times of utter despondency I am comforting myself with the thought of food. Lime pickle to be specific. I absolutely love the stuff and have it with almost anything, which it turns out, is kind of an expensive habit.

So tonight I am going to have a crack at making it myself. There are tons of recipes online, but this one appealed the most. Mainly for the word quick. 

Photos and taste report to follow.

Ingredients.

500 grams of chillies (About half and half mixed red and green)
1 kg limes
200 grams chopped fresh ginger
15 chopped garlic cloves
6 chopped fresh curry leaves
4 cups distilled white vinegar
1 tsp turmeric
1 Tbsp salt
3 Tbsp mustard seed
2 Tbsp fenugreek seeds
3 cups vegetable oil (If you have mustard oil, use 2 cups vegetable oil and 1 cup mustard oil)
5 Tbsp vegetable oil
Prep.

Make sure you have sterilised jars and lids prepared for bottling. They must be thoroughly dried
Method.

1.  Heat 3 Tbsp of oil in a large frying pan until hot.
2. Sauté the limes turning them over until their skins are a golden brown.
3. Dry the limes and cut them into about 6 thick slices and then half the slices.
4. Put 2 Tbsp of oil into a blender, add the chillis, chopped curry leaves, chopped garlic, chopped ginger and curry leaves. Blend to a paste
5. Heat the remaining oil in a pan until hot. Add mustard and fenugreek. Heat the seeds until they pop open.
6. Add the paste, stir and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off heat.
7. Add the turmeric, pieces of lime and vinegar and stir until thoroughly mixed.
8. Using a slotted ladle or spoon, put the limes into jars, and pour the remaining fluid over the limes ensuring they are just covered.
9. Stir to remove any air bubbles and seal jars.

1 comment:

  1. I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was
    good. I do not know who you are but definitely you're going to a famous blogger if you aren't already ;)
    Cheers!

    my website - Diet Plans that work

    ReplyDelete